Top Five Apps for European Travel
It’s no secret that Europe shines brightest in springtime. Thanks to the old continent’s affinity for colorful gardens and lush green parks, the brisk spring months in Europe are the time to visit. Considering Europe’s fairly harsh winter months and scorching summers, the pre-summer months offer that perfect blend of long temperate days amidst beautiful gardens, romantic fountains and, of course, that old world ambiance that floats throughout most bustling city plazas.
Whenever or wherever you go in Europe, the most important thing is to be properly prepared and organized so that you can enjoy your trip. Everyone has their own travel strategy and style. For most, this includes an extensive packing list, a security plan and maybe even a new fanny belt (no judgement!). Whatever your preparation style, these five European travel apps will make your experience overseas more organized, efficient and enjoyable.
1. Simply Declare allows you to efficiently keep up with purchases on an international trip. Not only does this app keep up with purchases that need to be declared at U.S. Customs, but it also offers real time currency exchange rates. Available for $0.99 on iTunes.
2. TripIt lets you keep your entire itinerary organized and in one place on your phone. It’s a free app that puts all your trip details together and syncs with your calendar. It also sends alerts regarding flight delays, cancellations, gate changes, etc. Fast Company says, “It’s indispensable when you’re in an unfamiliar city and need to quickly look up your hotel’s address..” Available for use on iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry and Windows Phone. Free version, Paid Pro Version and Special Group Rates.
3. Free Wi-Fi Finder app is a true tech savvy traveler’s dream come true. While many like to disconnect on their trips abroad, maintaining contact with family and friends and bosses is often a necessity. This free app lets you stay connected without racking up roaming charges by locating Internet hotspots in your area. The app works around the world and also provides directions to the hot spot of your choice. Available free on iTunes.
4. iFly Pro let’s you search airport information such as parking, gate information, restaurant and bar locations, flight delays, etc. It also lets you navigate around hundreds of airports to find Wi-Fi hot spots, distance between gates, public transportation options, etc. Voted by Travel & Leisure magazine’s “most comprehensive airport guide,” this is clearly the app for European travel! Available on iTunes and Androids , free or paid pro version.
5. Hotel Tonight is the perfect tool for that whimsical traveler or for those who just like a little more spontaneity in their travel itinerary. Find discounted hotels in your area available that night, with bookings available until 2 a.m. Currently available in the United States, Canada, Mexico, UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Italy and Spain; and they’re working to bring more cities and hotels in more countries. Available Free on iTunes.
Do you have favorite European Travel Apps to add to our list? We hope you’ll share them with us in the comments.
Author Bio: Presently living in Madrid, Nicole Jewell enjoys the guilty pleasure of forcing her cute Spanish husband to take her to various European cities in order to explore beautiful cities, profound history, and distinct cultures that can be found throughout Europe. Her travel articles and photos have been published in various publications and she's currently enjoying her new post as assistant editor at My Itchy Travel Feet.