10 Best Travel Food Experiences
By Brette Sember
Traveling is about more than sightseeing for me. It’s also about tasting the flavors of the region. I often come home with a food that I am determined to learn how to make at home. Here are some of the best things I’ve tasted while traveling:
10. Gelato in Italy. We ate gelato every single day we were in Italy. It was the perfect afternoon snack and a wonderful antidote to the heat of the summer. There are so many flavors and they are all presented so beautifully. Ice cream at home doesn’t hold a candle to it!
9. Stone crab claws in Naples, Florida. We go to Naples every year and always buy stone crab claws at a local fishmonger (make sure you ask for them cracked or you’ll spend a long time in the kitchen with a hammer!). I make a dipping sauce with mayo, lemon juice, mustard, and dill and also melt butter with lemon for dipping the cold crab meat in.
8. Salmon my husband and son caught in Alaska. When we took our Alaskan cruise, my husband and son took a fishing excursion and caught wild salmon. It was an amazing experience for them and we had the salmon shipped home to enjoy. We dined for months on it and loved every bite!
7. Lobster in the rough in Maine. I spent summers in Maine, we went back for our honeymoon, and then took the kids one summer. It is one of my favorite places on earth and the best way to enjoy Maine is to dine by the ocean on lobster, corn on the cob, and potato chips.
6. Guava Duff in the Bahamas. This local dessert was a big hit with my family. Guava isn’t something you normally see on the menu at home and it was sweet and delicious.
5.The Burger Bar, Las Vegas. Vegas was fun, but is not one of my favorite places. The Burger Bar, however, stood out. We had amazing burgers, decadent milkshakes, and crispy fries with a variety of dips. Then there was the burger dessert: fudge on a Krispy Kreme donut. Oh my.
3. Roman Pizza. Everyone says Naples is the place for pizza, but the best pizza we had in Italy was in Rome, at a fun place with a wood oven. We ordered a giant pizza that had 4 different “flavors” on it.
2. Tea at the Orangery at Kensington Gardens, London. This was a wonderful experience in a beautiful setting. The tea, sandwiches, and desserts were magnificent.
1. Sorrento Lemon Cake. We enjoyed this regional specialty on the Amalfi Coast of Italy at several restaurants. It’s a light lemon sponge cake, covered in a lemon meringue. I’m still hot on the trail of a recipe for this one.
Come on back tomorrow for Best Children’s Books that Inspire Young Travelers. Hasn’t this been the BEST week???
Original article: 10 Best Travel Food Experiences
©2013 A Traveler's Library. All Rights Reserved.