Vasquez Rocks Park is less than an hour north of Los Angeles, but it feels like it is a world away. The 745-acre park is located in the Aqua Dulce area which is roughly midway between the Santa Clarita and Antelope Valleys, respectively.
You may recognize the rock formation from every movie ever made (well, most of them). It is has also been featured in many television shows. Among the more notable movies/shows are:
- Star Trek (2009)
- Cars (2006)
- Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
- Joe Dirt (2001)
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)
- Planet of the Apes (2001)
- Bubble Boy (2001)
- Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995)
- The Flintstones (1994)
- Army of Darkness (1993)
- Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey (1991)
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
- Short Circuit (1986)
- Blazing Saddles (1974)
- Werewolf of London (1935)
- Dracula (1931)
- Saving Grace
- The Twilight Zone (the original series)
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
- Mission: Impossible
- Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Mr. Show with Bob and David
- Fear Factor
- The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin
- The Bionic Woman
List and links via Wikipedia
But that’s not all! In addition to being the home of the Gorn it’s also the site of prehistoric peoples, specifically the Shoshonean and Tataviam. It was also the hideout of the infamous (more than famous) bandit Tiburcio Vasquez, hence the name.
The park is located on the San Andreas fault line and offers a full day of activities including (from the website) “campfire nature talks, equestrian programs, a junior ranger program, seasonal special events, hiking and horseback riding. Picnic areas are provided.”
It also boasts a very alert ranger staff and a rapid emergency response time as I can attest from our last visit. Don’t worry, it wasn’t me.
Vasquez Rocks Park is located just off Interstate-5 at 10700 W. Escondido Canyon Rd. in Agua Dulce, CA 91350. The phone number is (661) 268-0840.
Wear proper footwear and bring lots of water!